Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Dog Owners Warned about Dangerous Bacterial Disease

Dog disease, lepto in dogs, leptospirosis

Dog disease, lepto in dogs, leptospirosis

Veterinarians in Chicago has warned dog owners about the increasing cases of a bacterial disease that is fatal to dogs and can be passed on to humans too. The disease is called leptospirosis and they said that they are alarmed about the recent rise in incidents of the disease in Chicago which is because of increasing rat populations and recent wet weather.

Lepto is a bacteria found in rats and is usually passed on to dogs through the consumption of standing water or when they step on it with their paws when they lick their paws they will be infected. The bacteria that causes leptospirosis is spread through the urine of infected animals and can live in water or soil for weeks to months.

Veterinarians in nearly every state are diagnosing more cases every year, so the need to protect dogs is on the rise.

Symptoms of leptospirosis are similar to those of the flu, which includes vomiting and diarrhea. There is a vaccine but it isn't foolproof because there are many strains.
If left untreated, it can lead to kidney damage, meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), liver failure, respiratory distress, and even death.

In humans, it can cause a wide range of symptoms, some of which may be mistaken for other diseases. Some infected persons, however, may have no symptoms at all.

GREENIES PILL POCKETS Soft Dog Treats $12.48
Proden PlaqueOff Dental Care for Dogs and Cats $29.88
Vet's Best Natural Flea + Tick Home Spray $9.49

No comments:

Post a Comment