Tuesday, March 25, 2014
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center located in Urbana, Illinois has release a report that they have received nearly 180,000 cases about household pets exposed to possibly poisonous substances in 2013. Prescription human medications is the top toxins in the list for 6 years in a row. About 20% of all the calls were about pets that ingest medicines for humans.
Here are the rest of the list: (ranked in order of call volume)
1. Prescription Human Medications - APCC received 24,673 cases about pets ingesting human prescription drugs in 2013.
The top 3 medications that pets are exposed to are: heart medications (blood pressure pills), antidepressants and pain medications (opioids and prescription non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). Most of the cases are owners dropped the pills and the pets got it first.
2. Insecticides - (15.7% of all calls is related to insecticides) most of the cases are cat related. Insecticides should be properly stored away from pets or it should be in a cabinet or box that can't be access by pets.
3. Over-the-Counter Human Medications - (14.7% of calls) most commonly are medicines with acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen, herbal, and nutraceutical.
4. Household Products - Household toxins that pets have access to includes fire logs to cleaning products.
5. People Food - people foods that are toxic to pets are onions/garlic, grapes/raisins and xylitol (sugar substitute that is harmful to animals).
6. Veterinary Products and Medications
7. Chocolate - do not give your pets Chocolate, too much of it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate and seizures.
8. Rodenticides - this can cause your beloved pets internal bleeding, kidney failure or seizures.
9. Plants - my dog really loves to eat plants. Most plants are harmless to pets but there are those which can be toxic like lilies which can cause kidney failure and death in cats.
10. Lawn and Garden Products - Fertilizers usually made from dried blood, poultry manure and bone meal are very attractive to pets so make sure to keep them in a safe place.
Other toxins that's dangerous to your pets are: Sago Palm (can lead to liver failure), Antifreeze (tasty to pets but is very harmful), and Yeast dough.
Sunday, March 16, 2014
Too bad for the crocodile, it lost his lunch when a hippo decided to save the gnu that the crocodile has caught.
Hippos are one of the most dangerous animals they are known to be ruthless and scary, but not this time. The video captures a hippo rescuing a gnu that is being attacked by a crocodile. It shows the hippo chases the crocodile, then push the injured gnu with its snout to the shore.
Vadim Onishchenko, 34, took the video when he was visiting the Masai Mara game reserve in Kenya.
Sunday, March 9, 2014
Jeremy Espiritu 22, from Las Vegas the family dog killer is set to be sentenced by Las Vegas court. He was found guilty of slashing his family dog’s throat. He may face up to four years imprisonment on a class D felony for torturing or maiming an animal.
He was arrested for killing their family dog. He told the cops that he killed the pet because he just like to kill the dog. The poor family dog was named "Serenity" and this monster killed the pet with a six-inch serrated knife.
Jeremy Espiritu's stepfather said that he was awaken at 3 p.m. when he heard "a child or dog screaming as if they were in pain." Officer Jacoby Burns arrived at the scene and found Serenity dying in a pool of blood near the front door. The knife was located nearby.
Espiritu told the cops "I like to hurt dogs". The black Labrador mix "Serenity" was rushed to a veterinary clinic but died.
Jeremy Espiritu is a drug addict according to his stepfather. He is also a Filipino-American
Sunday, March 2, 2014
A monkey in Bali, Indonesia stole a camera from a Brazilian tourist and it was all documented on a camera. The monkey even took a selfie video of himself, well sort of.
Ailton Schoemberger of Curitiba, Brazil was visiting the Uluwatu Temple in Bali and he decided to film himself while feeding the monkeys. A monkey took fancy of his camera and took it then ran to the woods. A staff from the temple gave the money a fruit to let of the camera.